Oy, so I fully intended to get this second part of my pregnancy story posted a week after the first. Maybe two at the most, I thought. Ha! What is it now? Two months later? Y'all, this parenting stuff is legit time consuming. I don't know how all these mommy bloggers do it. There's no way I can do a blog post a week, plus feed myself, feed the baby, wash myself and the baby, occasionally do things like vacuum and dust (ha, just kidding, never made time for that pre-baby), much less look halfway decent doing it. Seriously. I want to be a fly on the wall in one of their pristine houses for a day, 'cause I just don't understand how they do it all. I'm guessing cocaine (kidding), or just very carefully crafted photography. Anyway... no BS around here. My house is a wreck, I've only showered once this week (though it is only Wednesday, so I guess that's not too bad), and the sink is full of dishes, but tonight, I'm going to take some friggen' time to write this blog post, if for no other reason than so I can cross it off of my To Do list and not more it to next week's spread yet again. :) Here we go... pregnancy part dos. If you missed part one, check it out here.
After the initial shock of our ultrasound with the maternal fetal medicine doc wore off, we went home and holed up for the weekend. We spend a lot of time crying, and trying to process what all of this new information meant. I cancelled a lot of plans because I just didn't want to talk to anyone, or have anyone ask about the baby. I didn't want to lie, but also didn't want to tell anyone what was going on until we knew for sure the extent of what we were dealing with. Eventually we picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off, and started the waiting game. Because we opted to do a full microarray for the amnio, it was going to take a minimum of 10 business days and up to a full month before we would know the results. Of course, like the amnio (which was only supposed to take 5 minutes, but ended up taking almost 45 because Beastie kept moving and reaching for the needle), the results took a long time to come in. We went about our lives as best we could. we started work on my office/craft room, the nursery and the upstairs bathroom. I travelled with the hubs to Seattle for a few days. He had a work conference and I hauled my fat rump around town doing some sight seeing. I was finally feeling pretty decent, though my feet were constantly swelling, and walking the hills of Seattle didn't help that much at all. Finally, mid-June, while I was standing in the Chihuly museum, I got the call from our MFM with the amnio results. Thankfully, everything came back clear. No chromosomal issues at all. I've never been so relieved. We finally knew what we were dealing with (ha, little did we know), and could proceed with the pregnancy as planned.
We setup a prenatal consult with the Cleft Clinic at Children's Colorado. They were wonderful and it was very reassuring to meet with the staff and gain a better understanding of what surgeries Beast might need, the general time line, and some ideas on what to expect. We had several more ultrasounds with the MFM, though Beastie always had a hand, umbilical cord, or something in front of her mouth and we were never able to get a clear picture. Beast still measured a little small, but overall everything looked good.
Throughout the month of June, however, I was experiencing a symptom that I'd later learn was a result of my increasing blood pressure and impending pre-eclampsia. While my evening sickness and heartburn subsided for a few weeks, it started to come back mid-June. I had terrible heartburn at night and would often wakeup in the middle of the night feeling like everything I had eaten all day was sitting just below my throat. I brushed it off as a normal pregnancy thing. Little did I know.
Anyway, at the beginning of July, I went in for a routine check up and they found my blood pressure was slightly high. So, they ordered some blood work and a 24 hour urine test (nothing says fun like a jug of pee in the fridge). All of those tests came back within normal ranges, so my doctor instructed me to watch for some indicators of pre-eclampsia and sent me on my way.
A week later, I had a headache that just wouldn't go away. Honestly, it wasn't even much of a headache at all, maybe a 2 out of 10, but it was persistent so I called the doctor just to be safe. Since I had to go in for my four hour glucose test anyway (barf to that surgary crap), they told me to stop by the office beforehand for a quick blood pressure check, just in case. It was 190/100, definitely too high. So, my doctor immediately sent me up to labor and delivery for observation and another ultrasound. Four hours later, my blood pressure was still climbing, and the ultrasound showed that Beast had slipped to the 4th percentile for size. After my BP hit 210/130, they made the decision to send me down to University, a larger hospital better prepared to deal with severe pre-eclampsia and a potentially premature baby.
Luckily, they didn't feel I was bad enough off to warrant an ambulance ride (thank God since the hospital bills were high enough even without that), so the hubs and I drove home, quickly packed, and headed to Aurora.
I'll leave you there for now. Next posts will be my hospital stay and the delivery! Hopefully those won't take nearly as long to get out. :)